The City of Fort St. John, located in the heart of Peace River country, is home to more than 20,000 residents, but as the largest regional service centre in northeastern BC, services over 60,000 people in the region.
The original trading post was built one year after Sir Alexander Mackenzie explored the area in 1793 making Fort St. John the oldest European-established settlement in present-day British Columbia. Fort St. John has grown with opportunities like the completion of the Alaska Highway in 1942 that sparked a population boom, and the discovery of high-grade oil in 1951 that established Fort St. John as BC’s oil and gas “Energy Capital”.
Fort St. John continues to flourish with resource based sectors of agriculture, forestry, oil and natural gas but also encourages further economic development projects such as sustainable energy and tourism which help to diversify and strengthen the economy of the North Peace. It embodies its municipal slogan, Fort St. John: The Energetic City, by recently being named one of the Top-10 Small Business Hotbeds in Canada by BMO Financial Group.
The City of Fort St. John offers contemporary community amenities with small town friendliness. This local hospitality is complemented by the natural beauty of Fort St. John, in the setting of the mighty Peace River and lush green slopes of the Peace River Valley which provide a varied terrain ideal for numerous seasonal outdoor activities such as fishing, camping, and hiking.
In The News