Fort Nelson is located in the northeast corner of the province at historic Mile 300 of the Alaska Highway. Named in honour of the naval hero Admiral Horatio Nelson, it was originally established in 1805 as a fur trading post. Fort Nelson is now the largest community within the Northern Rockies Regional Municipality, and exemplifies small town community spirit and the legendary hospitality of the North.
In the lee of the Rocky Mountains, Fort Nelson is surrounded by the Muskwa, Fort Nelson and Prophet rivers. It is characterized by an abundance of Natural Resources: lush mixed Boreal Forest, an emerging Agricultural sector, Tourism and Transportation sectors anchored by the Alaska Highway, and the premier industries of Oil and Natural Gas resource development. Fort Nelson is on the southwest edge of the Horn River Basin and Greater Sierra oil and gas fields.
Fort Nelson sits at the gateway to the immense wilderness of the Rocky Mountains, the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Alaska offering the outdoor adventurers some of the most pristine areas in this part of the province. The Northern Rocky Mountains are the largest roadless landscape south of the 60th parallel, as well as one of the richest and most varied intact large wildlife ecosystems remaining in North America. The area's wildlife population is so prolific that this portion of the Northern Rockies has been dubbed the Serengeti of North America.In The News